Mobile Phone Policy
Mobile Phone and Electronic Games Policy
This policy was drawn up in response to technological advances, which have seen a significant increase in hand held electronic devices and mobile phones amongst the school population over recent years.
- IPods, mobile phones, etc. are intrusive and distracting in a school environment
- Strategies must be put in place to reduce the intrusiveness of unauthorised technology in a school situation
- Some electronic devices may be harmful due to frequent use
- Mobile phones may be used to conduct bullying campaigns
Relationship to School Ethos:
The use of mobile phones and other electronic games contravenes the provision of a safe and secure school environment and is not conducive to learning – a provision which is central to the mission statement and ethos of Scoil Mhuire.
- To lessen intrusions on and distractions to children’s learning
- To eliminate the risk of cyber bullying activity on the school premises.
Internal School Procedures:
The following are the guidelines for mobile phone/electronic games usage in the school;
- Children are not allowed to use of mobile phones/electronic games during school hours
- Pupils are not allowed to bring mobile phones or electronic games into school. In exceptional circumstances, children may bring a mobile phone/device to school. The phone/device will be locked in the school office during the school day and children may collect their phone/device at 3.00pm.
- Children who need to contact home during school hours may do so through the school secretary using the school landline phone
- All electronic devices/phones are banned, even during after school activities
- Any pupil who brings a mobile phone or electronic game to school risks having it confiscated and not returned for a period of five school days.
- Staff have access to the school landline if urgent calls need to be made to parents
- Classroom supervision is usually organised if a class teacher has to contact other professionals or outside agencies in relation to a particular child
- Staff personal calls are normally confined to break times
- Staff are permitted mobile phone usage only in cases of emergency
Roles and Responsibilities:
All staffs share in the co-ordination and implementation of this policy.
This policy is monitored on an ongoing basis and amendments added as new technology comes on stream.