Photo Album 2

Send us an email
Tel: 051 388 255

Down Memory Lane – Photo Album 2

 

 Lives of great men all remind us,

We can make our lives sublime,

And departing, leave behind us,

Footprints on the sands of time.

‘Psalm of Life’ by H.W.Longfellow

Horeswood Girls' School 1932

Horeswood Girls' School 1932 - Front: Nancy Daly, Coolerin,Anna Sinnott, Coolerin,Kitty Caulfield, Coolerin,Lil O'Shea, Ballinamóna, Annie Finn, Campile, Nancy Caulfield, Coolerin,Peg Lynch, Great Island, Nellie Whitty,Ballinamóna, Bridget O'Brien,Ballinamóna. Second Row: May Kehoe, Campile,Mary Whelan,Campile, Kathleen Cheevers, Kilmannock,Tilly Hendrick, Ballyvelig,Maureen Clancy, Kilmannock, Josie Hendrick, Ballyvelig,Maureen Power, Ballyvelig, Jenny Cummins, Horeswood, Maureen Sinnott, Coolerin,Litty Finn, Campile. Third Row: Mary Sinnott, Ballykerogue, Agnes Nolan, Great Island, Lal O'Shea, Great Island, Maggie Corish, Great Island, Kathleen Sinnott, Ballinamóna, May Finn, Campile, Nellie Whitty, Ballinamóna, May Massey, Alderton, Mary Malone, Great Island, Katie Power, Ballinamóna, Mary Carroll, Kilmannock, Nellie Walsh, Grange. Fourth Row: Mrs. Eleen Nolan, nee Mooney, who was assistant in the girls' school from 1913 to 1951, Babs Power, Newbridge, Nellie Chapman, Ballykerogue, Annie Mitchell (Principal of the girls' school 1928 to 1966 and Priviliged Assistant 1966 to 1970 when the boys' and girls' schools were amalgamated), Bridget Walsh, Grange,,Nellie White,Grange. Back: Nellie O'Brien,Grange,Mary Connolly, Great Island, Nellie Browne, Ballinamóna, May Daly, Coolerin, May Molloy, Ballykerogue, Katie Hogan, Fisherstown.

 

 

Warrens of Whitechurch going to Horeswood NS in 1928. From Left: Trudy, Lucy, Marty, Nancy and Ida guiding the donkey.

Warrens of Whitechurch going to Horeswood NS in 1928. From Left: Trudy, Lucy, Marty, Nancy and Ida guiding the donkey.

 

Killesk National School 1909

Killesk National School 1909 Front: Jim Murray, unknown, Stasia Rowe, Molly Quinn, Annie Colfer, Alice O'Connor, Kathleen Sutton, Willie Burke, May Hennessy, Tommy Hennessy. Second Row: Annie Mullery, Peter Meyler, Fanny Mullery, Katie Hennessy,Bridgie Colfer, Molly Sutton, Stasia Sutton, Maggie Murray, Bea Colfer, Tommy Quinn. Third Row: Mick Pender, Jack Murray, Willie Ryan, Willie Murray, Joe Hennessy, unknown, Dan O'Connor, Jimmy Murray, John Quinn, Tommy Colfer, Larry Murray, - Pender.Teacher: Katie Brennan. Back: Janie Colfer, Maggie and Bridgie Kenny, Maggie Hennessy, Stasia O'Connor, Annie Moran, Ciss Rice, Katie Colfer, Molly Hendrick, unknown.

 

Killesk old school, near Killesk Castle,was built in 1887 by Mrs.Murray from Dunbrody who got the very small site from her husband. She paid tradesmen to do the constructionand it remained in use until the new school was opened on Oct 11th 1965

 

Kenny's Mill 1920's

Kenny's Mill 1920's - From Left: Tom Fowler, father of Mrs. Neddy Flaherty, John Kenny and Denny Dineen holding the horse.

 

The mill was built by John Kenny around 1917 and operated until the the early 1970′s. It was gas operated in the beginning but later changed to diesel. Johnny Jordan was the last miller to work here. It was bought by Connollys in 1969 and Conroys became the next owners. Unfortunately a fire destroyed the mill in the 1970′s.

 

Dakes Forge

Dakes Forge

 

From left: Bridie Power,nee Dake, Katie Dake, nee O’Brien who was Joe’s wife, Elizabeth Ashfield, nee O’Brien, sister of Katie Dake. She married a Harrell in England and had two children. They were sent to live in Ireland for safety reasons during World War 2. Their father died during the war and Elizabeth married a man called Ashfield and their son Brian is in front of photo.

George Harrell, who remained in Ireland and still lives in Ballysop is now in his nineties but still enjoys an active life and is a very keen gardener and card player.

Joe Dake had a forge in Ballybrazil, opposite the graveyard, and a thatched dwelling house beside it.

Joe and Katie had five children.

 

1958  Horeswood Rackard League District winners (beaten in Co. semi final by Kilmore)

1958 Horeswood Rackard League District winners (beaten in Co. semi final by Kilmore)

 

Back: Richie Finn, Paddy Shalloe, Sean Hendrick, Dick O’Brien, Michael Murphy (Ballyvelig), Darby Caulfield, John Wade, John Walsh.

Front: Joe Grace, Michael Murphy (Ballykerogue), Henry Hayes, Bill Murphy, Martin Hartley, Bill Bowe, Tom Power.

 

Waylands 1956

Waylands 1956

 

Bob Wayland and Tom Brunnock. Bob Wayland’s father came from Tipperary and was a verger (sacristan) in the Church of Ireland,Whitechurch. Tom Brunnock came from Great Island and lived here with the Waylands. The thatched house in the photo belonged to Wyses and was situated in the back of Mylie Dempsey’s farmyard.

 

Joe Nolan with bonham.

Joe Nolan with bonham.

 

Joe Nolan and Katie Nolan (nee O’Brien) sister of blacksmith,Paddy O’Brien,Whitechurch. They also at one time lived in the thatched house of Wyses.At this time many families kept a few sows and sold the bonhams to help purchase food for the family.

 

Fr.Brendan Kehoe, Tommy Hayes, John Davitt, (Retired Principal Scoil Mhuire Horeswood NS 2004), Margaret Sutton and Tom Caulfield.

Fr.Brendan Kehoe, Tommy Hayes, John Davitt, (Retired Principal Scoil Mhuire Horeswood NS 2004), Margaret Sutton and Tom Caulfield.

 

Horeswood Confirmation 1972

Horeswood Confirmation 1972 - Front: Thomas Kent, Ger Boland, Michael Hart, Seán Clancy, Patrick O'Shea, P.J.Doyle, James Howlin,Ted Shalloe, Tommy Lennon, Francis Doyle and Paddy Millea. Second Row: John Banville, Eddie Ryan, Michael Walsh, Diarmuid Corish, Fr.Matthew Berney,( a native of Monaseed, Gorey, was a lecturer in Sociology for the Extra-Mural Diploma course of UCD. He became PP in Horeswood on Feb. 7th 1972 and died in Ely nursing home on Oct.25th 1972.), Bishop Donal Herlihy, Fr.Brendan Kehoe, Philip Corish, Séamus Furlong, John Joe Furlong and Maurice O'Shea. Third Row: Michael Dillon, Larry Larkin, Tony Aspel, Éamonn Boland, Donal O'Hanlon, Declan Hart, ? ,Liam Halligan, James Larkin, Pat Parker, Pat Somers, John Joe Murphy, John Rowe, Andrew Boland, Senan Clancy, Tony Stafford and John Doyle. Back: Pat Whelan, Tony Wallace, Pete Chapman, Brendan Whelan, Bernard Waters, John Waters, Kevin Dunphy, Alan Parker, Jim Barnwell, Tom Miskella, Eddie Forristal, Seán O'Neill, Eoin O'Neill and Pat Rowe.

 

Harvesting at Ballyedock 1951

Harvesting at Ballyedock 1951

 

Julia Kavanagh, Colonel David Price and Athel Price. Colonel Price was born in London in 1907. In 1930 he visited Ireland to recover from a bad riding accident and stayed with Solly Floods near Inistioge. During World War 2 he served with the Royal Gloucester Hussars and was seriously injured in North Africa. He returned to Ireland in 1946 as master of the Limerick Hounds. He married Joan Hutchinson from Fife in Scotland, whose mother was a daughter of the milling magnate Joseph Rank. He bought Kilmokea House in 1947 and built nine acres of gardens there. After the Causeway linking Great Island to Fisherstown was breached by a gale he persuaded Brendan Corish to rebuild it. One of the main movers behind the Wexford Opera Festival he became its Vice President. He died in 1994 but his wife Joan remained in Kilmokea until 1996 when it was bought by its present owners, Emma and Mark Hewlett.

 

Campile Aerial Photo 1935

Campile Aerial Photo 1935

 

This is a remarkable photo from over 70 years ago when we contrast it with present day Campile.

 

Matt Hart’s store was built in 1934, and is now Ger Dunphy’s joinery. The scaffolding can still be seen in this photo taken in 1935. The three storey building is about 13 metres high and was an imposing construction for its time. It was intended to be a hardware store but was used by the Co-op as a corn store. When the timber floor was laid the planks were left for about a month before being nailed together so that there would be no spaces for the grain to fall through. In the 1940′s and 50′s it was used as a dance hall until Campile Hall was opened in 1956.

 

Pat Howlin, Ballykerogue is stooking oats

Pat Howlin, Ballykerogue is stooking oats

 

Pat Kennedy, Dunganstown with the roller.

Pat Kennedy, Dunganstown with the roller.

 

Murphy's Shop, Ballykerogue, circa 1900 and (inset) the building today.

Murphy's Shop, Ballykerogue, circa 1900 and (inset) the building today.

 

Murphy’s shop is the only shop mentioned in Griffith’s Valuation (circa 1850). In Bassett’s Directory for Wexford (1885),Laurence Murphy had a business here selling flour, provisions, seeds and manure. The business was started in the early 1800′s by Larry Murphy who was succeeded by his son James. The above Larry succeeded him and he in turn was followed by his son James who died in 1924. Phil Murphy sold the shop to the Shelburne Co-Op. in 1928.

 

Wedding photograph of Willie Cleary and Bridget (Bea) Cleary Nov.22nd 1933

Wedding photograph of Willie Cleary and Bridget (Bea) Cleary Nov.22nd 1933 - Front: Michael Cloney, Dungulph, (Chairman Shelburne Co Op from its inception May 1919 until his death May 1934), Janie Colfer, Killesk, Sim Cleary and Jack Cadogan. Middle: Mary Bowe, Ballinavary, Enniscorthy, Myles Roban, Lena Roban, (nee Cleary, sister), Enniscorthy, Willie Cleary, (groom) Bridget Colfer,(bride), Denis Cadogan, Rev.John Kavanagh,C.C. Ballykelly, and Bridget Cadogan. Back: Mary Ellen Power, Ballyvelig, Sim Murphy, (General Manager and Secretary Co Op from 19th May 1919 until 1955), Rev.Tobias Furlong C.C. Horeswood, Mamie Murphy, Jim Foley, (father of Mary Jo Kent) and Nellie Cadogan, St.Leonard's.

 

 

Bea was given that nickname by Sim Murphy because she used hum like a bee when she was angry.

Bridget Colfer, Lena Cleary and Mary Bowe were members of Cumann na mBan during the ‘troubles’. They were arrested and jailed in what is now the County Hall for a couple of days. They were then transferred to Kilmainham Jail and spent a good length of time there.

Mary Bowe was the poultry instructor in St. John’s Hospital, Enniscorthy.

 

Burnt School Cross Roads Matt Foley and Jimmy Murphy driving sheep at the Burnt School Cross Roads,August 1989

Burnt School Cross Roads Matt Foley and Jimmy Murphy driving sheep at the Burnt School Cross Roads,August 1989

 

Philip Cleary's house in Whitechurch

Philip Cleary's House ,Whitechurch which was burned down in 1942

 

Philip Cleary’s house which is situated on the corner in Whitechurch was burned down in 1942. In the house at the time was Philip and Ciss Cleary (nee Kane), Moneytucker, Lena Roban (nee Cleary), Enniscorthy, (Philip’s sister), with her four children-Padge, Malo, Maud and Betty. Also present was Pat Molloy, aged 17/18 who was a son of Mary Cleary of Grange who was another sister. Mary was dead a number of years at this time and Philip and Ciss had taken Pat in as they had no family of their own. Nan Byrne, a servant, was also in the house as was a workman in an out house. The fire started in the attic around 11o’clock at night. Pat raised the alarm as he was in bed at the time and being in his night clothes he went back to change his clothes and as a result lost his life. Pat and his mother are buried in Whitechurch in the family grave.

 

Lena Roban was trapped upstairs with her children but Philip and the workman got a blanket and held it under the gable end window (see photo). Lena dropped all her children onto the blanket and then she jumped onto it and all were saved.

 

The oratory window to the right in photo is still there. The oratory was built for Monsignor Cleary who was a brother of Philip’s and an uncle of Pat. He was a priest who served in America but who had retired to America and used to say mass in the oratory.

 

Ballykelly Communion 1962

First Holy Communion July 1962 in Ballykelly - Back: Michael O'Connor, Ballinteskin; Patrick Cullen,Stokestown; Peter Caulfield, Killowen; Michael Molloy,Oldcourt. Front: Nicholas Howlin, Ballykerogue; Matt Larkin, Aclamon; Thomas Fitzgerald, Camblin; Séamus Boland, Whitechurch

 

Walking to School in Aclare 1979

Walking to school in Aclare 1978 From Left: Celine and Tina Walsh, Curraghduff: Antoinette, Geraldine and Carmel Kehoe, Ballysop: Clare, Margaret and Geraldine Howlin, Ballysop.